The Friends of the Troy Public Library is a member supported, non-profit organization. It was founded in 1972 with the purpose of stimulating interest in and support for the Troy Public Library by becoming a member, donating funds and time through volunteering.
The Friends support programs, services, and special projects for the Library. We underwrite:
- The Children’s Summer Reading program
- The Adult Summer Reading program
- The Museum Pass Program
- Shorts Out Loud
- Purchases that enhance the Library buildings and the experience of the patrons.
In 2018-21 these purchases included:
- New Desk for the Young Peoples Area at Main
- New Lighting for the Stacks at Main
- Painting the Young People’s area
- New shades for the Art Gallery and Book Seller
- A match for the cost of the LED lighting for the Lansingburgh Branch
- Chairs for outdoor programming
- The purchase of new books, E-Books, Streaming Services and Hot Spots
- Maintaining plantings at Main and at the Lansingburgh Branch
- Contributions to Staff appreciation activities
The Friends raise awareness of the Library in the community and rally support. We promote programs and services through activities such as:
- Sharing Library events on Facebook and to our members
- Highlighting Library services on our Monthly Facebook feature “Did You Know”
- Promoting the Annual Library Budget Vote and election of new Library Board Members
- Distributing unsold books to community organizations such as Books for Troops, Head Start, Unity House pre-school programs, etc.
The Friends bring support to the Library by coordinating members and volunteers to:
- Operate the Book Seller, the used bookstore at the Lansingburgh Branch.
- Organize Pop-Up Book events at The Troy Farmers’ Market, the Hidden Garden Tour, The Music Hall free noon concerts and other community locations.
- Conduct additional fundraising activities including the Holiday Raffle and the wrapping of books at Market Block Books
- Promote membership and contributions
Board of Directors
The Friends of the Troy Public Library Board of Directors is a hands-on group of volunteers. The Board meets 4 times a year to develop policies for the Friends, make decisions on the allocation of its resources in conjunction with the Director of the Library and to identify new outreach opportunities. Its ongoing activities include managing administrative tasks, coordinating volunteers, and providing staffing for activities.
Fredda Merzon – President
Casey Macksey – Vice President and Website Chair
Phyl Brazee – Treasurer
Chris Lasky – Bookseller Manager and Secretary
Mary Muller – Advocacy Chair
Judy Meyer – Online Sales